Citrus Kale Salad
Over the last month, my kids have been passing colds and the flu back and forth, needless to say, our immune systems have all taken a significant beating. But, as soon as they started to feel better and get their appetite back, 'momma's yummy salad' was the first request.
I'll leave the cold, flavorful crunch to do the selling here, but know, with every bite, you are giving your immune system a little boost in the right direction!
Citrus Kale Salad
3 cups washed and chopped kale
2 cups shredded cabbage
1-2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 Tbsp ginger
4 Tbsp avocado oil
1/2 red onion finely chopped
season with salt and pepper
1. Begin by washing and chopping/ shredding kale, and cabbage then set aside.
2. Finely chop the red onion.
3. Wash both lemons thoroughly and vest both of them, then cut them in half and squeeze them both into a small bowl (with zest) and set aside.
4. Add half the kale and cabbage into the bowl, then layer half the cabbage, onion, zest, lemon juice, and oil onto it.
5. Add the remaining kale and cabbage in and top with the remainder of the cabbage, onion, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger, and oil.
6. Once combined, toss with tongs well to coat the kale and cabbage.
7. I should have told you at the beginning to double this recipe so you could hide some for yourself. (you can always make more)
8. Serve and top with seasonings of choice - just a little sea salt and pepper here are great.
Optional: Topping this salad with a little shredded mozzarella cheese is good too!
tip: Want to make this salad a full meal? We love to add a cup and a half of basmati rice, 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 cup bacon bits, and organic chicken as desired.
This recipe is incredibly easy to make and keeps well, making it an excellent option for weekly meal prep! Chop it up and #enjoy
And, be sure if you make these or try your own version to send us a pic or tag us on social with #HERinspiredEATS